Profile area Understanding Research – Evaluation and Science Practice
With this profile area, the Foundation aims to promote research on science and provide targeted impulses for the structural improvement of research as well as academic teaching. To this end, it focuses on three thematic areas: namely, science cultures, science careers and science discourses. The aim is to evaluate, initiate and facilitate necessary changes in important areas of the science system. Points of reference here are, for example, standards of research and ethics, review procedures, evaluation and publications, career and governance.
The profile area "Understanding Research" aims to
- promote the generation of knowledge about science as well as the evaluation, communication and strategic application of the findings;
- open up scope for scientists and scholars to engage in original research at crucial junctures in their careers;
- support the careers of researchers via joint cooperation in and with other social systems and through qualification at the interfaces;
- strengthen academic freedom in teaching and research and promote constructive public discourse on the topic;
- create experimental spaces for improving the structural parameters of research, teaching and transfer.
Current funding offers within the profile area
Pioneer Projects – Impetus for the German Research System
The funding offer addresses active researchers who, in addition to their research activities, would like to explore a project idea for the further development (of a specific area) of the German research system, as well as academic administrators at universities and research institutions in Germany.
area of research: all disciplines
up to 500,000 Euro
Researching Research: Collaborative Research Projects
The funding scheme is aimed at scientists and scholars of all career stages from postdoc onwards who work on issues related to research on research. The Foundation promotes interdisciplinary, multi-method and internationally oriented research projects.
area of research: disciplines conducting research on research
type of funding: research projects adressing the topic of the current call "Systems of Assessment and Evaluation in Science"